Re: inotify support.

Robert Love wrote:
> Requiring more than 32-bits would mean we triple the number of available
> events.  I do not see that happening.

This might be an argument but...

> Also, the same 32-bit mask is in the inotify_event structure (see
> include/linux/inotify.h in the kernel tree), so we would have to change
> that, too--which is not going to happen.

... this isn't.  There can be new syscalls but the user interface should
stay the same.

It is usually better to explicitly size bitmask (i.e., pass a pointer
and a lenght) unless there is really no reasonable outcome in which more
than, in this case, 32 bits are used.

--
â Ulrich Drepper â Red Hat, Inc. â 444 Castro St â Mountain View, CA â