regex with large strings on 64-bit hosts?

Has anyone else worked on a patch to get the libc regex code to work
correctly on 64-bit hosts?  Currently it goes boom on large strings
(e.g., strlen exceeds INT_MAX).  I've taken a look at fixing this, but
it's not trivial, and I'd rather not reinvent the wheel.

One issue is binary compatibility, as many of the 'int's and suchlike
need to be changed to 'ssize_t's etc.  I have an Aardvark out on
exactly how wide regoff_t actually needs to be; see

<https://www.opengroup.org/sophocles/show_mail.tpl?CALLER=show_archive.tpl&source=L&listname=austin-review-l&id=1960>

Thanks for any info you can forward.