Re: atime preservation

On Wednesday 28 September 2005 14:20, Ulrich Drepper wrote:
> Paul Eggert wrote:
> > I suggest the name "fdopendir" instead
>
> I implemented fdopendir() on the trunk.  A test case even verifies that
> reading a dir doesn't change its atime.

Excellent. The next question is what to do about readlink(). The system call
needs a kernel change, but we need to agree on an API first. What about the
following?

int readlinkopt(const char* path, char* buf, size_t bufsize, int flags) ;

readlinkopt with flags = 0 does the same thing as readlink. Setting flags to a
bitwise-OR of the following flags changes behaviour. At present there is only
one flag defined:

O_NOATIME - Will cause readlinkopt to not change the atime of the read
symbolic link.

Thoughts?

--Ian