Re: [RFC] dl-procinfo and HWCAP_IMPORTANT support for powerpc

Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@false.org> wrote on 12/15/2005 09:22:38 AM:

> On Thu, Dec 15, 2005 at 09:00:27AM -0600, Steve Munroe wrote:
> > If you are vitally interested in supporting G2, G3, G4 then you will
need
> > to:
> >
> > 1) Negotiate with Paul Mackerras to get bits allocated in AT_HWCAP
from
> > the kernel.
>
> I'm not sure I understand why most of this is in AT_HWCAP.  AltiVec/VMX
> is a hardware capability.  "Is a G4" is not a hardware capability,
> it's a platform - AT_PLATFORM, set in the Linux kernel from
ELF_PLATFORM.

Well the base mechanism can work with either (AT_HWCAP or AT_PLATFORM).
But for powerpc, AT_PLATFORM is not included in the Aux vector. So until
the powerpc kernel supports AT_PLATFORM there is not much point.

Steven J. Munroe
Linux on Power Toolchain Architect
IBM Corporation, Linux Technology Center