Re: Request for clarification on the 128bit long double requirments

Roland McGrath wrote:

> I told those maintainers that glibc 2.4 would not support a new long double
> ABI for each platform unless GCC 4.1 as released could compile that glibc.
> The glibc sources make it easy enough to switch a platform down the line
> (for the glibc 2.5 ABI, whenever that next release period comes along).

Thanks for the explanation.

To clarify this statement:

* If GCC 4.1.0 does not support the new ABI, but GCC 4.1.1 does support
that, would it be possible to activate the support on the GLIBC 2.4 branch?

* If GCC 4.1.x does not support the new ABI, but some later GCC does,
will it be possible to either (a) activate the support on the GLIBC 2.4
branch, or (b) add it to the then-current development mainline for
GLIBC?  (I assume the answer to "b" is "yes", from the above, but I want
to clarify because I'd hear that this was a now-or-never change in GLIBC.)

Given that the GLIBC with the support is fully backwards-compatible with
older GLIBCs, it seems that it would be possible to enable the support
later on the GLIBC 2.4 branch, when compilers that can support the
feature become available.

Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery
mark@codesourcery.com