glibc 2.4 release imminent

The time has come.  I will make the glibc 2.4 release in the next few days.
I wish this process had been organized much better, but then I wish I'd
gotten a lot more help in organizing it.

I will update some documentation soon, and I still expect a few more
last-minute code fixes.  But functionally, the current state of the tree is
what the 2.4 release will look like.  I spun "make dist" for a test run,
and put the results here:

ftp://sources.redhat.com/pub/glibc/snapshots/glibc-2.3.91.tar.bz2
ftp://sources.redhat.com/pub/glibc/snapshots/glibc-libidn-2.3.91.tar.bz2

Please try building from those (but check CVS for later fixes if you run
into an actual code issue).  As we have testing going on already for builds
made from cvs snapshots, I don't expect surprises here unless something
went wrong with making the tarballs.

I am not planning to branch CVS for 2.4 yet.  As long as new development
doesn't need to add ABIs or make unduly destabilizing changes, we'll keep
working on the trunk.  I hope there will be a few more 2.4.x releases that
continue to improve and stabilize, before we want to branch for new
experimental development.  We'll see how it goes.  (When we do branch,
we'll have three branches being maintained and I'm overloaded as it is.
So I hope we have more planning and more manpower before that needs to happen.)

Thanks,
Roland