Re: What is the intended bahaviour of recoding characters outside the target range?

> I opine that it would make sense to model the solution after
> uconv, which is ICU project's replacement for iconv. uconv
> allows the user to specify what to do with such data with the
> --to-callback option. E.g. escape-xml, escape-unicode, stop, skip,
> etc..

While this is acceptable for a command line tool, I don't think it will
be appropriate for all cases - for example when the library is used by
programs, for then the programmer would have to think about different
options given to functions, while the functions would be almost
certainly fixed by existing standards.
Things could be controlled by environment variables but this is going to
change current behavior somewhat and increase the environment.
Still - this will be a largish project that I am not sure I will be able
to complete and I am yet uncertain whether it is necessary.

Kind regards:
al_shopov