Re: What is the intended bahaviour of recoding characters outside the target range?

ICU also provides the options in its library functions
(UCNV_FROM_U_CALLBACK_SKIP etc. arguments to ucnv_setFromUCallBack()).

Default behavior could be what it is now. Adding a
function to set a callback would give users the ability to
specify different behavior. This shouldn't break existing
programs.

I can't comment on the amount of work this might require,
since I don't have time to work on it myself.

Cheers,

Troy