Re: glibc stacking up to Windows

[I wouldn't normally reply to nonsense like this but the record should
be straight once.]

Michael Lueck wrote:
> My program needs to simply COPY A FILE! Also, figure out what file has
> been specified, and arrive at the fully qualified filespec based on what
> it was provided. I asked how Linux C developers do those sorts of things
> since it would appear glibc does not offer API's to do so.

You completely, utterly miss the point of POSIX.  Why would POSIX
specify the syntax and semantics of all kinds of utilities (including
cp) except if these are to be used from other programs, e.g., shell
scripts or real executables.

Just use posix_spawn() to run cp.  It makes absolutely no sense to
replicate the functionality of cp.  This is no simple program, it's a
high complex and optimized one.  Duplicating its functionality would be
an invite for errors and missed opportunities.

Before you take to your keyboard the next time and complain about
something you obviously have no idea about read up first.  Read about
the POSIX project and think about what all this means.

--
â Ulrich Drepper â Red Hat, Inc. â 444 Castro St â Mountain View, CA â