Re: glibc detected *** free(): invalid pointer

Though Petter R. will (eventually) find the cause of his problem via valgrind,
nevertheless it would, indeed, be extremely helpful if error messages like this
were to have some hint about where to look.  Google on "glibc" and
"invalid pointer" and you will see messages from many, many frustrated folks.
This message is awful. It needs to be enhanced with a hint about which
component of glibc stumbled on the issue so your customers can more readily
narrow the focus of their search.  This is the correct list for that.
Thank you - Bruce

On 7/23/06, Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com> wrote:
On Tue, Jul 18, 2006 at 03:27:21PM +0530, Sripathi Kodi wrote:
> I am seeing the following message when I run a multi-threaded testcase.
>
> *** glibc detected *** free(): invalid pointer: 0xb7f9fb78 ***
>
> I recompiled glibc to make it abort when it hits this message. From the core file, I see the following backtrace:

This is most likely because your program have an error in it. In that case, this is the wrong list to discuss the debugging of it.

I suggest using valgrind, <URL:http://valgrind.org/> to try to
pinpoint the error in your program.

Friendly,
--