Instructions for installing glibc

Greetings

I am trying to install glibc v2.4 onto Red Hat 7.2 so I can install some
other things that need a more recent libc. The ./configure script
returns at the end a message that installing into the default /usr/local
is dangerous and refers to the FAQ. The FAQ says that /usr/local is the
safe place to install! The current install lives in /lib/i686. Can
anyone offer some guidance on setting --prefix so that things get
updated properly?

Thanks

Mike