Re: libc -> gcc link

    We would be vey happy to continue not worrying about the formatted manual

I can build the 2.6 libc manual, but some changes to libc.texinfo seem
desirable, if not 100% necessary.  I could make separate patches for
them all, but I am hoping that they are non-controversial enough that
you won't make me take the time.  Are you ok with these changes?  If so,
I'll post the 2.6 manual on www.gnu.org.

- no @setchapternewpage odd by default, the extra blank pages are not
  necessary.  (When we produced the final copy for the emacs&elisp
  manuals recently, we left this option out.)

- different @dircategory to match the Free Software Directory, which is
  what we're trying to converge on.

- the EDITION, VERSION, and UPDATED variables apparently need updating.
  Judging by the mtimes on the files in the 2.6 tarball, the manual has
  (thankfully) been touched since 2001!

- use @copying instead of hardwiring the permission notice.  Otherwise
  the notice does not get into all the output files properly.

- updating the wording of the notice to what's currently recommended,
  and say FDL 1.2 or later, not 1.1.

- move @shortcontents and @contents from the end of the document to just
  after the title page, so they appear in the normal place for readers.

(If I'm supposed to send this patch somewhere else so it doesn't get
lost, please let me know where.)

Thanks,
Karl

*** libc-orig.texinfo	Wed Nov 12 01:37:03 2003
--- libc.texinfo	Sun Jul 29 20:57:52 2007
***************
*** 3,10 ****
  @setfilename libc.info
  @settitle The GNU C Library
! @setchapternewpage odd

  @comment Tell install-info what to do.
! @dircategory GNU libraries
  @direntry
  * Libc: (libc).                 C library.
--- 3,10 ----
  @setfilename libc.info
  @settitle The GNU C Library
! @c setchapternewpage odd

  @comment Tell install-info what to do.
! @dircategory Software libraries
  @direntry
  * Libc: (libc).                 C library.
***************
*** 19,55 ****

  @c sold 0.06/1.09, print run out 21may96
! @set EDITION 0.10
! @set VERSION 2.3.x
! @set UPDATED 2001-07-06
  @set ISBN 1-882114-55-8

! @ifnottex
  This file documents the GNU C library.

  This is Edition @value{EDITION}, last updated @value{UPDATED},
! of @cite{The GNU C Library Reference Manual}, for Version @value{VERSION}.

! Copyright (C) 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2002, 2003 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

  Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document
! under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.1 or
  any later version published by the Free Software Foundation; with the
! Invariant Sections being "Free Software Needs Free Documentation" and
! "GNU Lesser General Public License", the Front-Cover texts being (a)
! (see below), and with the Back-Cover Texts being (b) (see below).  A
  copy of the license is included in the section entitled "GNU Free
  Documentation License".

!
! (a) The FSF's Front-Cover Text is:
!
!      A GNU Manual
!
! (b) The FSF's Back-Cover Text is:
!
!      You have freedom to copy and modify this GNU Manual, like GNU
!      software.  Copies published by the Free Software Foundation raise
!      funds for GNU development.
! @end ifnottex

  @iftex
--- 19,49 ----

  @c sold 0.06/1.09, print run out 21may96
! @set EDITION 0.11
! @set VERSION 2.6
! @set UPDATED 2006-12-03
  @set ISBN 1-882114-55-8

! @copying
  This file documents the GNU C library.

  This is Edition @value{EDITION}, last updated @value{UPDATED},
! of @cite{The GNU C Library Reference Manual}, for version @value{VERSION}.

! Copyright (C) 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2002,
! 2003, 2007 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

  Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document
! under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or
  any later version published by the Free Software Foundation; with the
! Invariant Sections being ``Free Software Needs Free Documentation''
! and ``GNU Lesser General Public License'', the Front-Cover texts being
! ``A GNU Manual'', and with the Back-Cover Texts as in (a) below.  A
  copy of the license is included in the section entitled "GNU Free
  Documentation License".

! (a) The FSF's Back-Cover Text is: ``You are free to copy and modify
! this GNU Manual. Buying copies from GNU Press supports the FSF in
! developing GNU and promoting software freedom.''
! @end copying

  @iftex
***************
*** 72,106 ****
  @page
  @vskip 0pt plus 1filll
! Copyright @copyright{} 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
  @sp 2
  Published by the Free Software Foundation @*
  59 Temple Place -- Suite 330, @*
  Boston, MA 02111-1307 USA @*
! ISBN @value{ISBN} @*
!
[...]

  Cover art for the Free Software Foundation's printed edition
  by Etienne Suvasa.

  @end titlepage
! @page

  @ifnottex