Re: does gconv issue system calls ?

On Friday 11 January 2008, Metuki Sabhe wrote:
> I am trying to understand better the internals of glibc,
> and was wondering about the gconv subsystem -
> is it pure user-space work (sounds logical) or does
> it issue system calls (i will be surprised if yes) ?

some pieces of gconv will all be userspace, but you cant escape calling the
kernel completely as you'll need to do things like writing out the actual
result file to the filesystem.  you could easily run it through a
debugger/strace to extract the exact information you need.  or read the
source code.
-mike