Patches to improve Hurd parts

Hello!

In this thread I will follow up with a total of (for now) seven messages
containing improvements for the Hurd parts in glibc.

There are comments and questions inline, so be sure to not accidently
skip over them.

I tested a number of the improvements using the test programs which
Ulrich attached in his Linux kernel commit messages.  Ulrich, thanks for
doing so!  Let me know in case you want to have them integrated into
glibc's test suite.

During the last months, a bunch of further patches have been posted.
Roland, HOW would you like us to revisit them?

Regards,
 Thomas