Re: libc manual

  Hello,

On Fri, Mar 06, 2009 at 02:27:37PM -0800, Karl McClendon wrote:

> Hi, I have had to spend a lot of time in the libc manual recently and I have a few questions, on the manual itself, and possible put some of my time into it.
>
> Is there a standard format?  It seems as if there is none, or the format is very loose.  It might be time to update the manual into an XML based format.  This would allow standard formatting.  People would quickly be able to get what they needed, and tools, like IDE's, can parse it and offer online helps and whatnot.
>
> If you are open to the idea of doing this I would not mind working though a section or two of the documentation and convert it over to an XML format.  Let you see what it can do and you can decide from there.

  I think it's more important to fill the gaps in the documentation than
play with formatting. The current format is well documented and
standardized: http://www.gnu.org/software/texinfo/

  Overally, I'm not sure if it's not better to invest work into putting
missing bits to the linux-manpages project, which provides more
up-to-date documentation and is more favorite source of information
among the developers IMHO.

--
				Petr "Pasky" Baudis
The average, healthy, well-adjusted adult gets up at seven-thirty