Re: CLDR and glibc locale data

  Hi,

On Mon, Mar 09, 2009 at 12:22:52PM +0200, Troy wrote:
> The "LC_TIME first_weekday locale consolidation" thread
> prompted me to ask about CLDR, again.
>
> Does anyone have information on the discrepancies between Glibc's locale
> data format and CLDR?
>
> Our national localization workgroup in Finland, Kotoistus
> (kotoistus.fi), is one of the teams who work on updating CLDR data. At
> least for Finland, CLDR represents the current preferred values for all
> localization data which are specified in CLDR.
>
> Now, as I have been the open source (GNU/Linux etc.) advocate there
> since the group's inception, it worries me that glibc is not taking
> advantage of all the work we are putting into collecting correct data
> for the Finnish locale.
>
> It is of much interest to me to find out what are the discrepancies
> which I hear are the reason why glibc cannot use CLDR's data.

  I have been thinking about looking into CLDR as locale data source for
SUSE some time ago (since I assumed it might be in quite better shape than
glibc locale data), but I never got time to do any real investigation and
comparing actual data side-by-side. It would be great to have someone do
a more concrete research on exactly what the schema differences are, how
to automate CLDR imports etc.

  Not so important for me personally, but is the CLDR licence comaptible
with GPL? It seems so to me on quick look.

--
				Petr "Pasky" Baudis
The average, healthy, well-adjusted adult gets up at seven-thirty