Re: PATCH: Make STT_GNU_IFUNC symbol dynamic

On Sun, May 24, 2009 at 08:43:08AM -0700, Ulrich Drepper wrote:
> Petr Baudis wrote:
> > Can you give some example of non-cacheable selection, please?
>
> The functions to make the selection are written by the authros of the
> code.  There are no limitations what can be used.  The load of the
> machine, the number of CPUs (with hotplug not constant, especially in
> virtualization), the available memory, the phase of the moon, ...

I think the load of the machine is quite dubious metric, at least for
general-purpose library like the glibc. But you are right that even the
system configuration can change with hotplug and that might make sense.

If it's the case that the criteria can change over time, shouldn't the
dynamic linker also offer an interface to reset the ifunc relocations,
that long-lived processes sensitive about this can use?

--
				Petr "Pasky" Baudis
The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne. -- Chaucer