Re: 2.11.1: Call for testing

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 01:06:55PM -0800, Roland McGrath wrote:
> As per the original concept of release branches, there shouldn't be a
> release next week just because you'd like to.  A community minor release
> comes only from a consensus of distro libc maintainers who have already
> been using the code in production or beta testing.  Not that you
> shouldn't like to push the process and prod all distro maintainers.
> But IMHO this process is only really useful at all if it's based on
> consensus of manifest use in distro packages (more than one independent
> distro), rather than on a single honcho's preferences and deadlines.

You are right. I have added this to [[Release]]:

> Each branch has so-called ''interested parties'', usually glibc
> maintainers in distributions where the particular branch is being used;
> tagging revisions on the release branches should result of consensus
> between the maintainer and interested parties - one workable model is
> that the maintainer suggests that he wants to release and other people
> check if they are happy with the set of patches included and the timing
> is fine-tuned; if a release is important for one of the parties (e.g.
> distribution nearing a release), they can suggest a release of new
> revision as well if it is meaningful.

Does this sound good to people?

I have also seeded lists of the particular branch users to wiki pages
for the 2.10 and 2.11 branches, everyone please feel free to add/remove
yourself from the pages based on your interest in the branches. Details
about usage of the versions in your distributions are welcome.

> Fedora 12 is using 2.11 so I know at least Andreas should be on board
> before any decisions are made about point releases.

Andreas, are you happy with tagging the current state as 2.11.1?

I'm judging from other replies in the thread that Debian and Gentoo
people are happy as well, I don't think we are missing anyone else
important who is involved in glibc development.

--
				Petr "Pasky" Baudis
A lot of people have my books on their bookshelves.