Re: Getting patches applied

We have long been lacking a good regime of bugzilla triage and tracking.
One feature of such a regime is that bugs naturally percolate into a queue
of verified, concise reports, with patches when available, for maintainers
to review.  Since we don't have such a formal queue, things get lost.

Perhaps this will motivate you and others to work on that next major
missing part of the project process.  The release branch scheme seems
to be coming along moderately well now, and this is the next major set
of process and facilitating tools we clearly need.

As things stand today, the best bet is to do a fresh concise posting here
so Ulrich can look at it.  If you just refer to bugzilla pages and long
trails of history, it's easy for people not to bother looking and let it
sit until it gets dropped on the floor again.  If your posting has a clear
and concise statement of the problem that stands on its own, then someone
authoritative can get to the issue quickly and chances are better.  If one
or more system builders are already using a patch and it is working well,
then mentioning that might make a difference.

Both of the particular things you cited are areas on which Ulrich is
authoritative and other maintainers would not commit nontrivial changes
without his review.

Thanks,
Roland