Subject: Re: proposed patch to rpcbind to provide finer-grained security controls than offered by the -i option
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 12:10:14 -0500
From: Andrew J. Schorr <ajschorr@alumni.princeton.edu>
To: Chuck Lever <chuck.lever@oracle.com>
CC: Steve Dickson <SteveD@redhat.com>, linux-nfs@vger.kernel.org

On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 12:01:51PM -0500, Chuck Lever wrote:
> If we go with just the evidence at hand: Andrew says he can rebuild his application.  Thus, so far there is no specific requirement to expand "-i".  IMO we should wait until there is, in the most noble of Linux traditions.

To be fair, this will require porting work on my side.  It is not a completely
trivial recompile, since some of the data structures have changed a little
bit.

I don't know whether removing from glibc is a great idea because of this
aspect.  The new TIRPC code is not 100% compatible (for example, struct XDR has
some differences in the xdr_ops).  I personally think that adding
'__attribute__ (( __deprecated__ ))' to all the function prototypes in
/usr/include/rpc/*.h would be a good first step, and also add a comment to the
header files directing people to port their code to the new tirpc API.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

Regards,
Andy