Re: [Libtirpc-devel] Fwd: Re: proposed patch to rpcbind to providefiner-grained security controls than offered by the -i option

On 12/14/2010 12:21 PM, Joseph S. Myers wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Dec 2010, Steve Dickson wrote:
>
>> We, the NFS community, no longer need or used the SUN RPC code
>> in glibc. We needed IPv6 support so we built and now support our
>> own RPC library, called libtirpc.
>>
>> So as not to confuse people that are moving legacy apps to
>> Linux: see http://marc.info/?l=linux-nfs&m=129200137524049&w=2
>> we would like you to deprecate your old header files
>> in /usr/include/rpc and point people to the new header
>> files in /usr/include/tirpc.
>
> How are the rpcgen utility and the headers in /usr/include/rpcsvc
> affected?  Do you also provide your own version of this utility, or do
> you use the glibc one?

The quick answer is no... The libtirpc package does not have its
own rpcgen command, probably because we don't using in building
the library.

We do install (at least in Fedora) two .x files in the
header directories /usr/include/tirpc/rpc/ and
/usr/include/tirpc/rpcsvc. But not clear as to why...

It probably makes sense to move the command from
glibc-common into libtirpc... Of course its not clear
how many ways the command would break after the move
but those would be my worries... not yours...

steved.