Re: Tile changes

On 1/29/2012 10:32 AM, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 29, 2012 at 8:48 AM, Joseph S. Myers
> <joseph@codesourcery.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, 28 Jan 2012, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
>>
>>> The 2.15 release hasn't been rolled out yet because I'm reviewing failures,
>>> but I hope to get that done this weekend and roll the release.
>> Well, 2.15 release (= 2.15.0) is the position of the annotated tags for
>> that release, which were created for libc on 25 December by Ulrich and for
>> ports on 3 January by me.  It's the tarballs that haven't yet been
>> created.  If there are problems with the code in 2.15 release, they may of
>> course be addressed on 2.15 branch, and at some point tags and release
>> tarballs of 2.15.1 release made.
> Correct.
>
>>> I will tell you right now that I'm not entirely comfortable adding a new
>>> architecture to a stable release and I will be seeking strong rationale from
>>> you and the community if you make a backport request to add TILE to the
>>> stable 2.15 branch.
>> The port is there (in ports) - it was checked into ports well before 2.15
>> was tagged and branched.  But some of the libc changes it depends on
>> weren't fully reviewed and revised as needed before the release and branch
>> - so actually using the port in 2.15 needs backports of those libc
>> changes.  The question is what risk they pose for other architectures -
>> whether it's safe to backport them so the Tile architectures work fully in
>> 2.15 or whether it would be better for Chris to create his own branch,
>> based on 2.15, for Tile users of 2.15, that has the few extra changes
>> needed.
> Agreed.
>
> I haven't reviewed the patches yet, but having a 2.15 TILE branch would
> make it easier to review what needs merging and provide TILE with a
> temporary upstream branch to use for building.

The "tile" changes for the core were merged (thanks again to Roland) and I
have the glibc-ports changes ready to push up; I'm just waiting to see if
anyone has any other issues with the current set of patches before I do
so.  (I don't think they're very controversial.)

I've appended a list of commits for master that are relevant; for ports,
after I commit, I think it's safe to just sweep up all the changes for the
relevant sysdeps pieces for tile (sysdeps/tile,
sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/tile, and sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/generic) since it
certainly can't break anything else.

Let me know if there's anything I can do to make it easier for you to
consider doing this, or if you have any concerns with the safety of pulling
in the changes in question.  In particular I'll try setting up a 2.15
branch that just has the tile changes integrated into it, but I haven't
played with cherry-picking, git-merge-changelog, etc., before so we'll see
how that goes. :-)

Thanks!

commit 3ac8b282b684e302640e1fee5d6cdbdd0d3255fb