Re: Require GCC 4.3 or later to build glibc

On Fri, 24 Feb 2012, Roland McGrath wrote:

> > It appears current practice is not to mention regeneration of generated
> > files (such as INSTALL and configure) in ChangeLogs.  We could discuss
> > changing that to something more like GCC and Binutils, where the logs do
> > say "Regenerate." for generated files.
>
> That was always the convention ("Regenerated.") and nobody ever discussed
> changing it.  Some people have failed to observe it in the last few months.

I had been creating such entries (through habit from GCC and elsewhere),
but:

* The last time INSTALL is mentioned in the ChangeLogs is 2006-03-06 when
you did the 2.4 release.  And there have been plenty of install.texi
changes since then.  Likewise plenty of configure.in changes without
configure regeneration noted.

* When I checked in a change with such an entry, it was shortly thereafter
followed by:

commit 6c1eace5df647ea85c7472c3fb314665abb22ec1
Author: Ulrich Drepper <drepper@gmail.com>
Date:   Mon Jan 30 22:50:20 2012 -0500

    Don't add CL for generated files!!!

which I took as indicating an explicit glibc convention against such
entries that I had failed to notice (and while I think it's better to have
such ChangeLog entries, conventions for such things as Bugzilla usage and
release management were certainly more important things to agree on).

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com