Re: check-abi failure with sys_errlist

On Fri, 6 Apr 2012, Andreas Schwab wrote:

> "Joseph S. Myers" <joseph@codesourcery.com> writes:
>
> > Please make it easy for people to understand patches you post,
>
> It's just a confusion between highest index and number of elements, as
> simple as that.  The patch corrects that, nothing more.

That's the *origin* of the bug, but for anything involving a change to
Versions file entries for a released version a greater level of
explanation is needed of the change to those entries, why it does not
affect compatibility and how you determined that no other entries needed
to change.  Which comes back to my point of explaining this code and the
errlist-compat machinery sufficiently for readers to follow why the change
as a whole is correct without needing to delve into the details of the
code themselves.

If you were correcting such a confusion for an array that didn't form part
of the public ABI then a short statement of the confusion in question
would suffice - but with the public ABI involved, more care is needed in
the review, and more detail in the explanation.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com