Re: [patch] Fix test suite failures with --as-needed

On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 8:50 PM, Allan McRae <allan@archlinux.org> wrote:
>> I have been building glibc (and the rest of the toolchain) for Arch
>> Linux with --as-needed for a couple of years now and testsuite failures
>> like these are the only issues I have noticed.

I think this patch is great. Thanks for the work Allan!

Two issues.

(1) The ChangeLog is a *little* terse for my tastes. I like it to be
sufficiently verbose to be helpful in identifying which functions,
structures, or in this case Makefile variables have been set or
changed. See below for examples.

(2) You don't present an analysis of *why* the tests fail with
--as-needed just that the hammer of $(no-as-needed) fixes it. Some of
the tests clearly failed to compile e.g. Error 1, while others failed
at runtime. Why? I think you need to provide *some* analysis of the
failures to show that your fix is correct.

> ChangeLog:
>
> 2012-04-16 ?Allan McRae ?<allan@archlinux.org>
>
> ? ? ? ?* elf/Makefile: Fix linking tests with --as-needed.

Example:
* elf/Makefile (LDFLAGS-tst-tls5): Use $(no-as-needed).
(LDFLAGS-tst-cancel24): Likewise.

> ? ? ? ?* stdlib/Makefile: Likewise.
>
> nptl/ChangeLog:
>
> 2012-04-16 ?Allan McRae ?<allan@archlinux.org>
>
> ? ? ? ?* Makefile: Fix linking tests with --as-needed.

Cheers,
Carlos.