Re: documentation issues

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 7:11 PM, Roland McGrath <roland@hack.frob.com> wrote:
> This thread got quite long and strayed quite far from its original
> subject. ?I won't attempt to answer every point raised individually.
> Instead, I'll just summarize my views on the larger issues raised.
> Accordingly, I have adjusted the Subject: line to be meaningful, and
> trimmed the CC list of everyone I'm sure is on the mailing list.

I agree in general with almost all of your comments.

In summary I would like to see a stronger requirement to include
documentation with any glibc changes.

For example the recent Power header from IBM has excellent new
documentation and that is exactly what I want to see from other
similar submissions.

I agree that we don't want to unduly burden developers submitting
code, but at some point we need to draw the line and say "Without
documentation your patch is incomplete." The same way we say it about
testing.

I agree that it would be inappropriate to *require* contributions to
the man-pages project, but I would like to make it as easy as possible
to do so, whatever that means. I would also like to encourage
contributions to the man-pages project as I would encourage work on
the glibc manual.

At the end of the day we have different documentation for different
users and different user needs and we need to live with that.

Cheers,
Carlos.