Re: Minimum Linux kernel version for glibc 2.17

From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2012 17:02:08 -0400

> On Wednesday 09 May 2012 15:49:07 David Miller wrote:
>> From: Mike Frysinger
>> > i would prefer to keep the version checking in the features header
>> > accurate. seems like the cost is already sunk, and removing them doesn't
>> > really gain anything ?  we use this header verbatim in uClibc, so it'd
>> > be nice to not have to fork it ...
>>
>> I absolutely disagree, it is only confusing to keep around tests that
>> are no longer necessary.
>
> generalities are one thing, but the code actually in question is trivial to
> read and maintain especially because the #if is small, and it's already done.

It causes problems when people are trying to diagnose a problem
and are looking at some parts of the tree for the first time.

Unused macros waste people's time because they'll see that it
might be related to the problem they are seeing, but it's a
guarenteed dead-end after the do all the work to determine
that it's completely unused.

It's therefore a burdon and should be removed.

The glibc source tree is not the place to maintain a table of kernel
feature addition points like this.