Re: RFC: Generate lib-names.h and stubs.h from ABI-LIST

On Thu, 24 May 2012, H.J. Lu wrote:

> On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 3:53 PM, Joseph S. Myers
> <joseph@codesourcery.com> wrote:

> >> How do you pick which variant to use? Where will the
> >> selection be made?
> >
> > You can still use sysdeps makefiles to determine the default variant and
> > the conditions for each variant. ?(I suppose that
> > sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/x86/Makefile would list the variants and the
> > conditions for each one, but .../{i386,x86_64/x32,x86_64/64}/Makefile
> > would each list a setting for the default variant.)
>
> If I understand it correctly,  that is close to what I suggested:
>
> The only issue is ld=soname.  I can try to remove the soname part
> and use abi-ld-soname in CPU/Makefile instead.
>
> Did I miss something?

I am suggesting an extra level of indirection.  All the sonames live in
shlib-versions files, as now.  The shlib-versions files for a
configuration need to include the sonames for every ABI variant supported
by installed headers for that configuration (hence using /x86/ directories
for them, for example).  The key in shlib-versions files becomes an ABI
variant name rather than a pattern matching triplets.

Whatever approach is used, it is desirable for each soname to be specified
in exactly one place - meaning in a file in a /x86/ directory rather than
a file in a directory only used at all for a single ABI.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com