Re: Weekday/Workday for EU locales in glibc

On 05/24/2012 04:53 PM, Michael Matz wrote:

I understand. There are even fewer useful documents about weekday conventions in legislations than there are about time changes. But OTOH the same argument can be used against the initial and still current state: "who documented and where are the so produced documents that defined the current state to be correct?". Just because Uli required elaborate proofs for _changes_ of the current status doesn't in any case imply the even remote correctness of that state. In fact I think it was completely arbitrary and in most cases just wrong (exactly because he didn't count hear-say evidence like "nobody in our country considers Sunday first day"; meaning he took lack of official proof for incorrectness to be proof of correctness of current state; which of course is absurd).
I certainly understand your arguments and I certainly found the situation, umm, inconsistent. A bit of web searching will show the lack of locale fixes in glibc as being a source of significant frustration.

Regardless, I wasn't ready to try and fundamentally change how we do things, but instead make a significant improvement in the state of the locales. ISTM tackling these other issues is independent of moving forward on cases where we can meet the burden of proof that has traditionally been required.

Are we even discussing these topics on the right list? Half of the mails in CC bounced,
Vast majority bounced. I think even the one gent who was responsible for most of the locales bounced :(

*-locale(s?) weren't added,
-locales has been a complete black hole based on my experience. Adding it would have been pointless IMHO.

and IMO, from reading the
lists, the timezone list (olson) might have the diversest (if that's a
word) set of persons that could usefully contribute to the topic at hand;
even though it's not directly timezone related that list has the most
persons on it that are remotely interested (and able to produce links to
official documents) in time/date topics.
I think we could certainly bring them into the larger discussion. Red Hat has folks internally that deal with tz nonsense all the time as well (Petr M).

That said, I of course am completely for changing the currently broken locales. I just doubt that if one ventures into the other locales that one would find those are correct regarding this topic. So fixing the european locales only is useful, but I think ultimately hypocritical.
I'm certainly not suggesting we stop with fixing the EU locales, it's step #1 and IMHO a step we ought to take now rather than wait on a new set of policies & procedures and potential input from new contributors such as olson, Petr M., etc.

jeff