Re: Merging glibc-ports repo

On Fri, 22 Jun 2012, Allan McRae wrote:

> Firstly, we need to prepare glibc-ports:
>
> git clone git://sourceware.org/git/glibc-ports.git
> cd glibc-ports
> mkdir ports
> git mv Banner ChangeLog* data/ Makefile README sysdeps/ ports
> git commit -a -m "Move all files into ports/ subdirectory in preparation
> for merge with glibc"
> git push
>
> At the stage, the glibc-ports repo should be closed for further commits.

I don't like any approach that involves rearranging things inside the
ports repository like that; that just seems likely to complicate things
unduly for people with local changes in their ports checkouts (for
example).  Do this on a branch of the ports repository if you wish, but
not on master.

On master, just add a README.ports-moved-to-libc file explaining that
master is now closed for new commits, and update the repository hooks to
disallow further commits to master (while allowing commits to all other
branches).

For whatever merge approach is used: after the merge, will "git shortlog
glibc-2.16..HEAD" and similar give reasonable results (showing changes
made since 2.16, including changes to the ports subdirectory after the
2.16 release of ports, but not all the older changes to the ports
subdirectory that were made in the ports repository)?  If not, is there a
good way to set up tags so that it is easy to get a clear view of what has
changed during 2.17 development, and to get the list of contributors for
the 2.17 release announcement?

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com