Re: Remove --as-needed configure test

On Tue, 2012-06-26 at 17:44 +0000, Joseph S. Myers wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Jun 2012, Jrg Billeter wrote:
>
> > Is there a concrete case where your change fixes the build or was this
> > just cleanup in preparation for dropping the libgcc_s build dependency?
>
> It's cleanup for dropping the dependency.  As far as I know, libgcc_eh.a
> and libgcc_s.so are always built together - either both are built, or
> neither is built - and there was already a dependency on libgcc_eh.  The
> aim of the patch series is to eliminate the dependency on both those
> libraries, so that a minimal static-only libgcc can be used to build
> glibc.

Thanks for the quick response.

It's true that gcc doesn't create libgcc_eh.a when built with
--disable-shared. However, when building gcc with --disable-shared,
libgcc.a contains the EH support routines. All that was needed to get
glibc to build is a symlink libgcc_eh.a -> libgcc.a. I've been using
this approach since 2005 without issues. See also this mail on
gcc-patches.

I could try adding a symlink libgcc_s.a -> libgcc.a but that sounds like
a slightly worse workaround.

Regards,
JÃrg