Re: Policy for posting security bug reports?

On Monday 25 June 2012 11:37:44 Jeff Law wrote:
> On 06/24/2012 12:10 AM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > perhaps, but the point still stands -- it is fairly trivial to make
> > binutils/gcc crash in pretty much every release, and neither project
> > today cares about treating security bugs specially.
>
> I'd say that the GCC & binutils projects absolutely care about security
> issues.  There's simply not many of them for those projects to deal with.

i didn't say they don't care about security bugs.  just that they don't care
to jump through the hoops that other projects do related to disclosure over a
private channel, coordinating fixes, and releasing simultaneously.  a bug is a
bug regardless of the security implication.

> > i imagine there are plenty of other flags to do fun things like this
> > since there are compiler, preprocessor, and assembler flags to choose
> > from.  i don't think distcc runs the linker in parallel, otherwise
> > that'd open up even more stuff.
>
> This is really outside the GCC/binutils area.  These are really a
> problem with how sites configure distcc.  Obviously distccd will run
> with whatever user privs it's configured for.
>
> Suggesting GCC is responsible or can somehow compensate for a poorly
> configured user access privileges is absurd.

to be clear, i didn't suggest that anywhere.
-mike