Re: [x86-64 psABI] RFC: Extend x86-64 psABI to support x32

On 06/28/2012 02:03 PM, Mark Butler wrote:
On Tuesday, June 26, 2012 1:53:01 PM UTC-6, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

    It's worth noting that there are *no* Linux platforms that are not
    ILP32
    or LP64, so adding a third memory model is likely to cause even more
    problems...

Care to comment on what sort of things would be likely to cause a large number of problems porting to an L64P32 model? I understand that L32P64 (as in Windows 64 bit) causes lots of problems, because there is a lot of code that assumes that a pointer can be converted to a long and back. That would not be a problem with L64P32 however, because there pointers would be smaller than longs rather than larger.

Every time you introduce a new model you will have problems, but in Linux it is a strong assumption that sizeof(long) == sizeof(void *).

-hpa

-- H. Peter Anvin, Intel Open Source Technology Center I work for Intel. I don't speak on their behalf.