Re: The GNU C Library version 2.16 is now available.

On Mon, 2 Jul 2012, Christer Solskogen wrote:

> On 6/30/12 10:14 PM, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
>
> > * Improved support for cross-compilation, especially bootstrap builds
> >    without a previously built glibc.
>
> This is nice! Can you (or somebody else) please elaborate on what this really
> means? Is there instructions for how to do this?

This is a work in progress; further changes to make it smoother will be
going in 2.17 (such as that on the jsm28/libgcc branch).  But, you follow
the general glibc build instructions and the general approach for
cross-compiling any package that uses GNU configure conventions - but,
where various existing sets of instructions (or tools such as crosstool)
for bootstrapping tools involve several places where you need to hack
things up manually at various stages in the build, parts of those
instructions for hacking things up manually are no longer needed and more
will no longer be needed with 2.17.  In particular, you used to need to
override several configure tests for bootstrap builds; you no longer need
to do so, because those tests have been reworked to work properly in
bootstrap configurations.  Where bootstrap processes involved building GCC
three times, with 2.17 (but not 2.16 without the changes from
jsm28/libgcc) they should work with building GCC only twice.

Cross-building and bootstrap building is easier and smoother than before
and produces results closer to those of a native build, rather than being
fully easy and smooth and producing identical results.  If you are an
experienced system integrator who has dealt with the difficulties of
cross-compilation of previous glibc versions, I hope you will find that
several of the previous problems you previously dealt with are gone in
2.16 - the improvements are to a large extent eliminating many of the long
list of deficiencies mostly well-known to those who had to deal with them
before.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com