Re: [RFC] Spam on the glibc wiki.

On Wednesday 18 July 2012 11:11:30 Carlos O'Donell wrote:
> On 7/18/2012 10:33 AM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > On Wednesday 18 July 2012 09:46:01 Carlos O'Donell wrote:
> >> I'm looking for any recommendations on how to shut out the spammers
> >> from the wiki.
> >
> > same suggestion as i posted when the kernel.org wiki was having this
> > problem: add a poor man's captcha.

> >   What color is "white"?  (The answer is: "white"):
> >
> >   <input type="text" name="botcheck">

> > then have the server side reject the request if the botcheck field isn't
> > "white"
> >
> > it won't stop human spammers (but the only way to combat that would be to
> > make account registration a manual thing), but it should cut off the
> > bots.
> >
> > i implemented this in the old bug tracker on busybox.net/uclibc.org, and
> > it completely shut down automated spammers (and i never saw a human
> > spam).
>
> Doesn't Moinmoin have text captcha support?
>
> Maybe that's easy to turn on?

maybe, but the reason i didn't recommend captcha is because automated nets are
designed to look for & break captchas.  my suggestion "works" by virtue of
obscurity -- no one else does this, which means the automated logic won't
handle it.

i also generally hate captchas because i can't solve them half the @#! time ;)
-mike