Re: Documentation about contributing to and running the testsuite

Hello,

Andreas Jaeger wrote:
On 07/27/2012 04:36 PM, Andrey Ponomarenko wrote:
Hello,

How about to add a note to this document about existing automated tools
that can be used to check for ABI compatibility issues:

* abi-compliance-checker: https://github.com/lvc/abi-compliance-checker

I don't know about this tool and I'm curious:
What does abi-compliance-checker bring us that "make check-abi" does not handle?

According to the documentation [1], "make check-abi" checks "symbol names and versions and static variable sizes". In addition to this, the ABI compliance checker tool checks for changes in the layout and size of data structures, changes in enumerations and constants (#defines), changes in function parameters and return values, etc [2]. It also checks source-compatibility of the API.

The tool uses a concept of "ABI dump", that is similar to *.abilist, but includes much more ABI information. The ABI dump can be created for the reference glibc version, say 2.10, and compared with the ABI dumps created for newer versions of glibc.

Can I add a subsection to the "ABI check" section of this document [1] where I will explain how to run the tool on glibc?

[1] http://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/Testing/Testsuite#ABI_check
[2] http://ispras.linuxbase.org/index.php/ABI_compliance_checker#Detectable_Compatibility_Problems

Thank you.

Andreas