Re: Weekday/Workday for EU locales in glibc

On Thu, Aug 09, 2012 at 10:26:41PM -0600, Jeff Law wrote:
> On 05/24/2012 07:16 AM, Michael Matz wrote:
> >Shouldn't localedata/i18n (although it's not used as template for any
> >LC_TIME) and programs/ld-time.c then simply be changed to use the ISO 8601
> >defaults?  Because, of all the 377 (on my system here) locales that
> >currently use Sunday as first weekday most of them have it only because of
> >these defaults.  Only en_US, es_CR, et_EE, ks_IN@devanagari, shs_CA and
> >wa_BE set it explicitely, and of those only wa_BE is used as template for
> >a further locale's LC_TIME (wa_BE@euro).  That is, 370 locales have first
> >weekday=1 just because of the default in programs/ld-time.c.  Nobody can
> >tell me that this was a concious decision for each one of these locales,
> >rather than just accident.
> So I'm happy to go forward with this, but would like to hear from
> the maintainers first.

I'm feeling somewhat uneasy about changing the defaults. I would prefer
to instead explicitly set weekday in each locale, since this seems to be
a complex issue even for EU countries, could create confusion with
locale definitions that are currently floating around the net unmerged,
etc. Also, I'm not sure if that's the current state in all regards,
but it makes sense to me to have the defaults match the POSIX locale.

So let's make this an explicit action for each locale involved?

(This does not mean that it should not necessarily be en bloc change.
We might consider looking at other locale repositories and doing a simple
comparison.)

				Petr "Pasky" Baudis