Avoiding compiler warnings

On Fri, 17 Aug 2012, Roland McGrath wrote:

> Gary, when we vet changes by eye we are assuming that the submitter has
> tested them and this includes verifying that they do not introduce new
> compiler warnings (except the occasional 'might be used uninitialized' when
> it's unavoidable without adding dead stores).  Please make sure you do not
> introduce any warnings in any future changes.

Avoiding new warnings would be a lot more practical if we used -Werror
(with -Wno-error=uninitialized or other such options added on a per-file
basis for files where avoiding the warnings seems too problematic).

(Practice from other tools would be a --enable-werror/--disable-werror
configure option, defaulting to --enable-werror during development (I
suppose based on the value of RELEASE in version.h) and --disable-werror
for releases.)

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com