Re: Active release branches

On Wed, 22 Aug 2012, Carlos O'Donell wrote:

> I think 2.11 to 2.14 are now closed.
>
> Is it important to mark a branch as open or closed?
>
> What do we gain from this categorization?

Listing a branch as active when it's not active is misleading to users.
Active branches should, for example, get backports of security fixes and
serious regression fixes.

If a branch is closed then bugs requesting a backport to it can be closed
- or bugs requesting backports to multiple branches can be closed once the
backport is on the active branches (bug 14287 may be the only currently
open case, with both glibc_2.14 and glibc_2.15 keywords).

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com