Re: More bug fixing needed

On Thu, 30 Aug 2012, Carlos O'Donell wrote:

> One thing we might do is have a bug triage day and time. Say Thursday afternoon
> we get together on IRC at a particular time and do a group triage, talk about
> the bugs and work through N bugs in 30 minutes.
>
> I think this would help get us into the habit of doing triage.
>
> Comments?

I guess triage might reduce the open bugs by 10% or so, by identifying
bugs that have in fact been fixed (with or without reference to the bug
number in the ChangeLog) but not closed as such, bugs where we can
conclude that the report is mistaken or the requested change not
desirable, and bugs that lack sufficient information to confirm or
reproduce them and where this was noted a while back without response from
the submitter (whether or not explicitly in WAITING state).  There may
also be some bugs with patches attached that can go in more or less as is
(no copyright assignment issues, no need for extra testcases, etc.) and
just need retesting and submitting to libc-alpha.  And triage can also
help confirm bugs that may not have clear testcases or conclusions about
whether they are valid.

But where a bug needs a patch to be written to fix it, that fixing
(complete with testsuite additions and writing up the bug and the approach
taken to fix it) is unlikely to be possible within 30 minutes; I generally
expect even pretty straightforward bugs to take longer than that to
complete fixing.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com