Re: BZ #1190: stream behaviour on encountering an EOF

I know there is long history and debate about "sticky EOF" behavior in
stdio.  I don't recall the details.  It really does not seem like a safe
thing to change at this stage.

Before even considering it, someone needs to do an independent, thorough
analysis of the clauses in the standards that are purported to require a
different behavior here.  The original bug report mentioned some POSIX
references, but we need to see here (on this list) a specific analysis of
the wording of the specification to justify the claim about how the
functions are supposed to behave.

Thanks,
Roland