Re: malloc probes for Systemtap

On 10/02/2012 07:17 PM, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
I guess myself and Siddhesh have been the most recent âmaintainersâ of
malloc.  I've studied it a lot myself while preparing this patch, and
Siddhesh did so even more deeply for other reasons.  Jeff Law is
somewhat familiar with malloc and he's seen this patchset and, to some
extent, guided the requirements for the probes I introduced.

Any objections to my going ahead with the probes as they are, that
internal reviews at Red Hat have IIUC already concluded would satisfy
the requirements of exposing unusually expensive malloc behavior to
probing?
So there's a Red Hat customer request behind the probes which looked something like add probes for unusual events such as new arena allocation, modification of dynamic tunables, etc.

I think this customer is at a stage where they want to better detect when malloc does something unexpected. I would expect that after some working with these probes we'll have a follow-up request for more probes to start answering why malloc does something unexpected.

In the process of adding the initial probes, Alex, Siddhesh and myself came up with several others based on our experiences in that code. I'll try to summarize the thought process behind each as I go through Alex's patches.

What we have in the way of
documentation for the existing probes is just
nptl/DESIGN-systemtap-probes.txt and elf/rtld-debugger-interface.txt.

So I noticed. I wasn't happy with that and decided it belonged in the manual, but... I hadn't considered ABI stability aspects of probes. *blush* :-)
The ABI aspect of probing is a big open question for any project adding static probes.

Anyhow, it wouldn't be hard a tall to reformat the texi input into a .txt file, or perhaps to have the newly-introduce docs unconditionally removed from the formatted manuals.

(There was some past discussion about this when the earlier probes
went in, but it only resolved to the point that we achieved consensus
that we didn't really need to resolve it right then.)
I think we're still in that boat (don't need to resolve ABI issues around probes). However, for these probes to be useful we need some kind of docs on the probes.

I'm comfortable with docs in a file or with docs that are removed from the formatted manuals.
jeff