Re: malloc probes for Systemtap

Of the primary maintainers, Carlos has done the malloc-related
reviews lately.  So I'd like him to sign off on the choices of probe
locations, names, and parameters.  Jeff's review seems to give some
helpful rationale for some of the choices, though I didn't see him
mention the parameters.

So far the selection of probe names has been pretty ad hoc.  With
more coming along, it seems wise to start developing some naming
conventions.  I don't have particular opinions about such details
going in.  But I think we should codify something and put it on the
wiki somewhere.  And, as usual, by we, I mean y'all.

I'm certainly all for higher-quality documentation for probes, and I
agree that those two .txt files are not stellar.  However, I really
do not like the idea of dead conditional sections in the manual
sources.  If you want to use Texinfo for this documentation (which
of course is a perfectly fine choice) then I think it should be in
separate files.

Even if we were to settle on an ABI stability plan for probes and
thus want to document them in the manual proper, I don't think it's
really the right thing to intersperse them in with the documentation
of the functions whose implementations contain probes.  To me it
would make more sense to have a separate chapter/appendix about all
the probes, with sections for each topical group.  That could also
document any accompanying tapsets written to go with the probes when
such come along.

Thanks,
Roland