Re: Update tzcode to 2012i

On Fri, 9 Nov 2012, Roland McGrath wrote:

> A log entry of "Update from ..." is only appropriate for files that are
> verbatim copies.  Is that true of all those files?  For any where it's not,
> then it should at least say "Merge in changes from ..." and I tend to think
> it should also give details in the normal way.

Both before and after this patch, tzselect.ksh is the only file with
modifications from upstream.  The pkgversion/bugurl patch introduces local
changes to zdump.c and zic.c as well.

> We should get as close as possible to using the tzcode files verbatim,
> though of course we should still be manually vetting changes rather than
> merging blindly.  If that means generating some bits with makefile rules,
> that is the right thing to do.  I think it is indeed most appropriate for
> the version info stuff to deliver the usual libc version/pkgversion strings
> just like all the other utilities we build do.

In what order do you want to handle such a change?  (That is, what order
of: updating tzcode from upstream; switching to using glibc's version
number for it; pkgversion/bugurl support for this code.)

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com