Re: Speaking on malloc internals at FOSS.in

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 11:37:34PM +0100, OndÅej BÃlka wrote:

> I drawn graphs how malloc behaves. It could be downloaded at
>
> http://kam.mff.cuni.cz/~ondra/benchmark_string/malloc_profile_26_11_2012.tar.bz2
>
> In NOTES file is rougthly what I would say about results.
>
> If you need to change figures use gen_eps script or data in appropriate
> files.
>
> I now work on measuring lifetimes of allocated blocks.

Thanks!  I had embarked on a similar project earlier this year, but
had limited it to specific applications since I was trying to solve a
different problem - trying to figure out resource usage.

> One problem is that we cannot hook calloc yet.

This is a known issue and it's because ld.so uses calloc and we go
into this complete tailspin when we try to hook calloc.  It's been on
my list of to-look-at items since the first time I ran into it earlier
this year.

Siddhesh