Re: If glibc had a logo what would it be?

On Sat, Dec 8, 2012 at 9:04 PM, William Pitcock
<nenolod@dereferenced.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Sat, Dec 8, 2012 at 5:52 PM, David Miller <davem@davemloft.net> wrote:
>> From: William Pitcock <nenolod@dereferenced.org>
>> Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2012 14:04:19 -0600

>>> Honestly, I think that it would be better to spend time on integrating
>>> strlcpy() and strlcat() so that a billion programs don't have to carry
>>> stubs for them anymore due to GNU arrogance than making a logo.
>>>
>>> I also generally don't see the point in having a logo for a C library;
>>> logos make sense for GUI apps, which a C library is not.
>>
>> Wake up on the wrong side of the bed today?
>
> No.  The arrogance is very well-documented.
>
> If you want to "build a community of people who like GLIBC" - making
> it where GLIBC is not the odd duckling for downstream developers (you
> know, the people who write the code that GLIBC exists to run?) would
> be a great start to improving the perception of GLIBC amongst
> developers downstream of it.
>
> I will be more than happy to submit patches adding strlcpy/strlcat, if
> people will accept them, but it seems a giant waste of time, because
> someone will surely say "we don't like this" or whatever.  Well, guess
> what?  Nobody likes the alternatives proposed by the GLIBC maintainers
> every time this is discussed, so perhaps the functions should be added
> now instead of coming up with crappy reasons to avoid doing so.

Post a patch then :).  Also see the FAQ which describe why they are
not a good idea and an even better alternative:
http://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/FAQ#Why_no_strlcpy_.2BAC8_strlcat.3F

> But hey, logo contests are fun, right?  Guess what's not fun: having
> to have autotools macros just for finding if strlcpy/strlcat is
> supported, when it is supported on every other platform that I
> officially support.  And why is this?  Is there some reason why I must
> do this?  Well, not really considering that uClibc ships
> strlcpy/strlcat, and I am pretty sure Musl does as well.

The Logo idea has nothing to do with strlcpy, etc.  One person who had
time on his hand as he was stuck in an airport without a laptop
decided to draw a logo.  Also by the way GDB and GCC both have logos.

> But as previously mentioned, having cute animals as a mascot, and
> contests to determine the logo are surely fun, I guess.

GNU has a history of have mascots (witness the gnu and the bison).

Thanks,
Andrew Pinski