Re: dlmopen and core dumps

On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 11:36 AM, Pedro Alves <palves@redhat.com> wrote:
> (Looking through my crystal ball, I'm going to guess people at some point
> will want to stuff this new file into a section in libc's binary to it
> always easily available, which makes me kind of go full circle and think
> that's all not really much different from just looking for r_debug)

It is different.

With r_debug you have an implicit layout that is difficult to change and as
Roland says it restricts the implementation.

If you provide a self-describing interface then it can change at will, but needs
to provide say "tags" to allow gdb to walk the data in a meaningful way.

The implementation is free to change things at will as long as it can describe
the new layout and still tag the data sufficiently to allow gdb to work.

However, no matter what we do we will eventually run into a situation where
the static description of the data will need some special transformation where
having a snippet of python would be useful.

Honestly I like the idea of using python for this. It can run in
parallel in the python
VM and is incredibly flexible. glibc can ship with the required python, and get
easily updated :-)

I vote +1 to Roland's idea of using python to describe this data e.g. procedural
description using target and host independent model + code.

Cheers,
Carlos.