Re: suggested patches for regex routines from gawk

On 12/28/2012 03:24 AM, Aharon Robbins wrote:
> I will be happy to work with Paul offline, but I think the ball is in
> his court. :-)

I very much like the idea of rational ranges and would like to see
this propagated into gnulib and glibc.  I tried to take the first step
by merging some of those changes into gnulib; you can see this work at
<http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=gnulib.git>.

I noticed that the proposed patch implements rational ranges for the
non-_LIBC case, but does not implement them for the _LIBC case (i.e.,
for glibc proper).  Is this intended?  For now, I left this as a FIXME
in the gnulib version.

I have some other questions and comments about the changes I haven't
merged yet.  Aharon, it sounds like you have some other changes in
mind, so once this batch is done perhaps we should merge those next.
Next steps might be to check that the merged result works with Gawk,
grep, etc., and we could then look into merging the result into glibc
(a project that's been on my plate for at least five years...).

I'll send those question and comments to you offline, so as to
not bother the list.