Re: compiler standards (and/or min gcc version) supported withinstalled headers ?

On Thu, 3 Jan 2013, Andreas Jaeger wrote:

> > Thus for example we could get rid of the GCC 2.91 check for __builtin_memset
> > in sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/bits/sched.h and clean that up.
>
> That raises a separate question - shall we assume that non-GCC compilers have
> __builtin_memset as well?
>
> Otherwise the cleanup would be to change the got to use
> GLIBC_HAVE_BUILTIN_MEMSET - and define that for GCC.

Defining __GLIBC_HAVE_BUILTIN_MEMSET seems logically right.  (You can't
just define __builtin_memset to memset because string.h may not be
included.  So you don't really clean much up in this case because you
still have both cases in the code - and given that there's still a GCC
conditional somewhere, there doesn't really seem to be much advantage in
the test being __GNUC__ instead of __GNUC_PREREQ (2, 91).)

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com