Re: dlmopen and core dumps

On 12/15/2012 12:20 AM, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 12:25 PM, Pedro Alves <palves@redhat.com> wrote:
>> Here you're ignoring my point (all I had said expect the parenthesis), about
>> other tools, etc.
>
> I'm not ignoring it. I honestly think that no matter what happens
> we'll eventually
> end up wanting some hybrid of declarative and procedural. You disagree with
> that.

I disagree because I haven't heard of a solid reason procedural would
be necessary.  I haven't heard of any _real_ plans or examples for incompatibly
changing the data structures involved.

> What's wrong with the other tools linking in a python interpreter and running
> the appropriate procedure to get information out of the glibc data they have
> in their buffers?

Others have already commented on this.  I'll add that speeding up the read the DSO
list in the remote/gdbserver scenario is something we have worked recently.
That involved minimizing roundtrips between gdb and gdbserver, and that meant
having gdbserver itself read the DSO list off of the inferior, and report that to
GDB in one go.  A solution involving Python means that we'd now need to have
gdbserver link in a python interpreter too, be deployed along a python setup,
learn how to get to the script etc., which is not desirable.

--
Pedro Alves